The Shire is committed to providing accessible and inclusive services, facilities and events. Disability access and inclusion refers to the removal of barriers that prevent a person with disability from participating in an equitable and dignified community life.
One method that assists the Shire to provide equitable service and access is the implementation of a Disability Access & Inclusion Plan (DAIP). The purpose of a DAIP is to assist Council when we are:
- Creating budgets;
- Building or maintaining infrastructure;
- Designing public open spaces;
- Recruiting employees and volunteers; and
- Providing services and events.
Every five years Council reviews our DAIP and creates a new Plan.
To provide a structured framework to identify and overcome the challenges faced in all aspects of access and inclusion, the Disability Services Commission identifies the following seven outcomes:
- People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to access the services of, and any events organised by the Shire of Capel;
- People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to access the buildings and other facilities of the Shire of Capel;
- People with disability receive information from the Shire of Capel in a format that will enable them to access the information as readily as other people are able to access it;
- People with disability receive the same level and quality of service from the staff of the Shire of Capel;
- People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to make complaints to the Shire of Capel;
- People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to participate in any public consultation by the Shire of Capel.
- People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to obtain and maintain employment with the Shire of Capel.
These outcomes provide the framework for ensuring the Shire of Capel is accessible and inclusive to people with disability.
The Shire of Capel Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2012 – 2017 and the Implementation Plan 2012 – 2017 are available for download now:
To request a copy of the DAIP in another format, or for further information, please telephone Donna Sims – Community Development Officer on 9727 0222 or Contact Us
Share Your Thoughts on Accessibility
The Shire would like to hear from people with a disability living in the Shire of Capel to find out more about their community needs.